Thursday, March 17, 2011

Interview With The Vampire

Since the trend lately has been the vampires, all thanks to Twilight Saga and True Blood, I thought it would be nice to get hold of some vampire books/movie at the library. As luck would have had it, I actually found some Anne Rice's books in the library. For those who don't know her, she's the author that started the whole vampire craze in the 90s. If you actually read the comments printed on the back of the Twilight series, you would have seen someone comparing Stephenie Meyer to Anne Rice. Of course, Meyer's vampires are more romance and family-oriented. Anne Rice's vampires are all brooding immortals with the penchant for isolation, who feed on human blood and all that.
I can honestly tell you that I prefer reading the Twilight series. For one thing, the language is not as fancy as Anne Rice's vamps. Second, the storyline tend to be draggy sometimes, so it tends to bore the impatient ones. (I'll leave the Twilight Saga review for some other time) Anyway, it took me almost 2 months to finish reading Interview with the Vampire. Which is really rare for me. So, when a friend was going on about how great the movie was, I went and watched it today.
Verdict: while the movie was waaaay more interesting because you can actually watch the characters instead of imagining them (who knew Tom Cruise could act so well?), it tends to have the same draggy issue as the book. But you would love the movie 'cause you get to see the young Kristen Durst as the immortal child Claudia. Hell, even as a kid, she was a great actress. Plus, the fact that she could act alongside Brad Pitt was impressive. I never was a Brad Pitt fan but I made an exception for this movie. His eyes are gorgeous in this one. The movie was great 'cause it really reflects the intensity and the broodiness of Louis. Way prefer it over the book, that's for sure. Go check it out~ Also, I'm never reading Anne Rice ever again. My brain might have died a little along the way when I was trying to finish the book. Photo credit to Anne Rice official website (http://annerice.com/Bookshelf-Interview.html) and IMDB ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110148/)

No comments:

Post a Comment