Friday, July 3, 2015

The Daily Egg Round 1 Writing Challenge - Day 2

So I stumbled upon this writing challenge a few days ago and thought it'd be a good idea to participate to get back into writing again. 

But I'm changing things a bit. The challenge is 30 days memoir writing challenge. But since I'm not great with writing from a first person point of view, these will be written in a narrative format.

Day 2 - Is there a piece of music that reminds you of a particular time & place in your life?
---

"Ok. So next question. Give me a second," he said, fingers tapping on one bent knee.

She sat there, occasionally adjusting the blanket around her, to keep the chill out. The cold was only great when most of her was wrapped up in warmth.

"I got it! Is there a piece of music that reminds you of a particular time and place in your life? Shouldn't be too hard after that sappy first kiss story," he said smugly.

"Avril Lavigne's So Much For My Happy Ending," she replied.

"Seriously?"

"What's wrong with that?"

He shrugged. "You don't strike me as the emo angsty type. Even if it was a mainstream hit single."

"What I can say? I was a pretty angst teenager. It's all very textbook angry teenage rage," she explained.

"So what happened? Did someone break your heart then?"

"Yes and no," she paused momentarily before taking a breath. "I had a crush on this guy. I knew it was fruitless because he was dating a friend of ours. But somehow it got out. While no one really gave me a hard time about it, everyone knew about it. It was the elephant in the room whenever we were within proximity. But a while later, they broke up. His ex was someone I carpooled with at the time. He got me to deliver a note to her because she refused to speak to him, and had one more for me."

"Did you read it? The note I mean."

"Of course I did. You can't really give someone a folded note, tell them not to read it and genuinely expect them not to. Admittedly, I wasn't going to but the note he had written for me was insulting. The gist of it was that I should get over because we were never going to happen. This was months after everyone knew. And I never once thought it was ever going to be more. Even then, I knew that while I was crushing on him, I didn't really expect the feeling to be returned or that I wanted to develop into something more. But for him to imply that I was still pining after him, it made me so angry.

At the same time, my friends were having their own boyfriend issues and got me to help them with theirs. But their plans backfired and everyone started thinking that I was stealing their boyfriends and they did nothing to stop the rumours. That's when the almost total ostracised by the entire year started and the rumours followed me all the way to college.

It was a traumatising year to say the least. The song started out because I was getting over my crush, but soon exemplify everything that was going wrong in my life then."

He stared, fingers clenching uselessly at his side, a little lost for words.

She reached out of her cocoon and touched his hand.

"It's okay. It's all over now. I learned and moved on. The song is just a song, and the memories are just that - memories."

"Still. I'm sorry you went through all of that."

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? That's what got me through the years.

"Besides, no one said high school had to be a bed of roses for everyone. Someone had to have the coming of age story going on for them," she said with a small smile.

"Has anyone ever told you that you are a crazy but incredible person?"

She laughed.

-----

No comments:

Post a Comment